January 6, 2011

Plantation Yacht Harbor

Left home Tuesday.  No snow on the ground, temps above 30--maybe the best weather we've ever departed in.  Still didn't want to stay.  I had been sick since mid October.  I would have been a great example for a Nyquil ad.  Runny nose, watering eyes, sneezing, coughing, sinuses, congestion, etc, etc.  I knew if I could only make it to Florida, I'd be well in 24 hours.  Since I hadn't been off the couch or spent an entire day awake for months, I thought maybe I shouldn't plan on driving straight through to the keys (1300 miles).    Also, Pam points out that I'm not so young anymore.  (She doesn't drive when we're towing the boat.)
So, we stopped in Macon, GA, and in Pompano, Fl.  We were going to spend the night on the boat in a Walmart parking lot in Pompano.  There's a website where you can find Walmart locations, and determine if it's ok to overnight in their parking lot.  As usual, I had located several Walmarts along the way, and we stopped at the Pompano location.  As we entered their lot, there were signs "no overnight parking."  I checked with the security guard cruising around, and he confirmed NO.  I phoned another Walmart close by, and they also said NO.  (Even though both were listed on the web as ok to overnight.)  So now, we were in the outskirts of Miami not knowing where we might stay.  Finally found a motel not far from the toll road.

The toll road turned out to be not too bad to travel on.  I had purchased a Sun Pass that is adhered to the windshield.  We didn't need to stop at any toll booths.  Didn't even need to slow down.  There's a sensor that reads your sticker, and automatically deducts the toll from your credit card.  I suppose I might feel differently if at the end of the month, if I get a statement that it deducted several hundred dollars from my credit card.

Last year, some friends with a similar boat stayed in this marina and gave it high marks.  (Jan & Steve on JESSIE M.)  So far, I concur with their high rating.  The dockmaster was friendly and helpful.  The slip fee is very reasonable, and the facility is great.  Nice docks, good ramp, bath house and laundry.

I'm tired from all the driving, but my cold symptoms have already disappeared.


4 comments:

  1. T & P, Glad you made it safe and sound. Sounds like a nice marina. Maybe I will get a chance to see it in person sometime.

    Richman

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pam & Tom, glad you made it there safe. I look forward to reading your post for this trop

    Love Scott T.

    ReplyDelete
  3. for all the poor working people up here in the cold seeing your blog is like sunshine on a cloudy day. have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Makes me shiver just to see a RF246 in open water. Glad to hear that FL is the right M.D. for you though!
    Tammi Goddard
    Cloud Nine
    Middlebury, VT

    ReplyDelete