January 13, 2011

Key West

We drove down to Key West today.  About two hours.  (Our marina is at mile 87--KW is 0.) 
Walked up and down Duval Street and took in the sights.  Some interesting people there.  Made it to the southernmost point, but didn't want to wait in line to take our photo in front of it.

As we walked past the Schooner Wharf  Bar at Key West Bight, I think I heard a local singer doing "A Pirate Looks at 65."

We stopped at the Eco Discovery Center to look at their reef aquarium so we'd know what we did not see the other day snorkeling.  Just outside their building, was the staging area for the boats that have arrived for Key West Race Week.  Mostly Melges and J-Boats, rigging their masts and getting ready to launch.  Several years ago, I requested an entry form to bring my boat (an S-2 7.9) down and race in KWRW.  At that time, the entry fee was $400.  Add to that the expense of getting it here, and staying here--slip fees, T-Shirts for the crew etc, and the total cost would have been much more.  Back then, I was racing with some deadbeat crew members, who probably wouldn't have even bought their own beer, forget gas money and slip fees, so needless to say, that never happened.

Later, we rendezvoused at Blue Heaven for lunch.


Looks like there might be a regatta out of our marina tomorrow.  There's about a hundert catamarans in the field by the beach in our park tonight.  Hobie 16's, Nacra's, F-18's and who knows what else.  OK, maybe not a hundert, but a lot.

4 comments:

  1. rumor has it that "said crew" was never invited south of lake norman. there was always that "special crew" in florida. i've heard there isn't any pabst lite south of tampa which could have been a problem. saw the sun for about 10 minutes yesturday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Dawg,
    Thanks for the comment. I'm glad to see that someone is reading my drivel. I can't imagine why you might think I was referring to you in this post. And it's good to see that you're not still holding a grudge all these years about missing one NOOD regatta.
    Luv ya man,
    T

    ReplyDelete
  3. Knowing you all were going to be at Key West today, I pulled up a few of the web cams in the area.. (there are hundert or more up and down the Keys!!!)... As I was pulling up a cam on Duval, I saw a couple, the guy in a yellow jacket and gal in a white jacket.... Could it be???? All I saw was the back shot walking away...

    TW

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those "wind" boats still catch your eye....

    TW

    ReplyDelete