January 28, 2011

Pelicans

Not sure what these dock girls were looking for.  Perhaps they'd drank to much wine and were feeding the fishes (like my old pal Danny Joe used to do all those years ago at Kentucky Lake.) 


It was windy all night last night, and the squeaking dock lines kept me awake again.  My longest dock line (25') wouldn't reach the forward piling in these "small" slips, and I could only use the midships cleat to keep the boat straight in the slip. There's only less than a foot tide here, but I had to tie the lines tight and they made a noise when they stretched at low tide. I keep a spare anchor and line below the floor, so I got it out used my old cowboy skills to lasso the piling.  Then I was able to tie the bow line to it.  Seems like a small problem, but it took most of the morning to work out.



 The entire day was windy and cool again.  (68 degrees)  We drove up to Key Largo, stopping at K-Mart, Publix, CVS, Papa Johns, and the Wild Bird Sanctuary.  People had told us to be at the bird place at 3:30 for feeding time.  When we walked back to the feeding area, we thought there were a lot of pelicans there.  Little did we know..................


When the guy with the buckets of fish showed up, it was a regular feeding frenzy--beaks to the left, beaks to the right.


The clacking noise you hear in the video is the pelicans beaks slamming shut.






1 comment:

  1. Hey T.

    Thanks for the obligatory shout out…also belated somewhat, Happy Birthday you old coot…I keep trying to catch up to ya but I always seem to stay 4 years behind. Headed to New Awlins for the next 4-5 days for some business meetings…looks like the weather stinks there as well, but a little warmer than this %&*$# up here in the northland.
    Really enjoy seeing the posts on ur blog of what’s happin’…look forward to it every morning with a cup of 30wgt.
    Our best to you and Pammy,

    Danny Joe

    ReplyDelete