January 12, 2013

What's that smell ?

Some people don't understand how we can live so long on such a small boat.  We're here 2 months on a 25' boat.  (And that 25' includes a 6' back porch.)  Part of the program that makes it possible is managing your supply of clothes.  There's not a lot of closet space.

For instance, at any one time, I have a pair of "fishing" shorts, and a pair of "out-to-dinner" shorts.  The fishing shorts get exposed to a lot the elements.  They get salt water splashed on them.  When I catch fish, I sometimes drag the fish across my lap leaving a little fish slime on my shorts.  And occasionally, I drop my lunch on them, and spill the sardine juice out of the can.  So you can imagine that after a couple of weeks, the fishing shorts start to smell a little like low tide.

After that same couple of weeks, the out to dinner shorts may have only been worn a few times.  So, they become the fishing shorts, and the previous pair of fishing shorts go into the dirty clothes bag.  Unfortunately, the dirty clothes bag is located just below the aft end of the V-berth.  Where our heads are when we sleep.  When Pam gets into bed and asks "what's that smell?"  I tell her it must be low tide here in the marina.

No comments:

Post a Comment