January 17, 2013

Free Beer

Unfortunately, I don't drink.  Our marina has free beer every Saturday.  Not "tomorrow" like most places, but a real day.  Saturday.  Pam participated last Saturday, and now that I've said it here, I fully expect to see my pal Dawg here next Saturday.  That's his favorite kind of beer--"free."  His second favorite kind is "cold."  He used to take a lot of abuse from me while racing sailboats, just to get that "free" beer after the regattas.  See you Saturday, Dawg.

I'd rather go to the dentist than to go "shopping."  At least at the dentist's office, I get to sit down.  Pam wanted to go to Boca Grande today to "shop."  For her that means wondering aimlessly through stores looking at stuff she has no intention of buying. Everything on the island is priced 25% over full retail.  In addition, we had to pay $6.00 to cross the bridge to get out to a place where I can't afford to buy anything.   As we "shop," I nod my head every now and then and pretend to pay attention, but the whole time I'm thinking about those redfish out on the flats.

We had an expensive sandwich for lunch at the Loose Caboose.  While we were eating, I overheard a conversation at the table next to us among some stodgy old blue bloods................"Oh, he's from off island."  I knew they weren't talking about me or they would have said "he's from off planet."

We've been spoiled by great weather the time we've been here.  It's been above 80 every day.  Today, however, a cold front came through.  It's getting down to the upper 40's tonight with a chilly high of only 70 tomorrow.  Our boat is in a small basin off the ICW.  We're away from the channel into the basin, so we don't get any waves from passing boats.  So our boat hasn't moved once since we've been here.  Until tonight, and the 30 mph wind. 

I'm still working on Uncle Tom's Good Stinkin' Stuff.  To the mix, I need to add some Neosporin  and an aloe cream for sunburn.  Some of the other contents didn't do their job.

1 comment:

  1. did i hear FREE BEER? to bad there are no trains that go south from here to hitch a ride. let's see 13 more day's till pension check. mabey next month. saturday FREE BEER, is that every saturday, next month too? FREE BEER.....i'll call my firemen pals, we could charter a bus.

    ReplyDelete