January 13, 2013

Red day

Today was one of my best fishing days in maybe forever.  Pam and I went out about 9:30, and by noon, I had caught 4 really nice redfish.  I figured out that at low tide, the reds stay in the "potholes."  That's an area that is a little deeper than the surrounding flats.  You can see the holes with polarized glasses.  The areas are bare, and the reds are usually around the outside edges.



I thought maybe Pam could do a better job with the fishcam.  Here's what she recorded




We drifted across some large flats near Stump pass.  The flats are only about 16" deep.  We're enjoying the eagles and white pelicans.  Wide open water.  No one else around.  Then these two PWC's decide to cross the flats right next to us.  They were close enough that I could have cast my bait over and hit them.  I'm not saying that everyone who owns or operates one of these things is fast, loud and obnoxious, but.........


I could see the fish leaving the flats as these noisemakers went through, so Pam and I went back to the dock for lunch.  

Later, I went back out by myself.  It was high tide in the afternoon, and I wasn't sure where the redfish might be.  I had read that they sometimes follow schools of mullet.  So I found a large school of mullet and kept following them myself, casting into and around the mullet.  I caught five more redfish and a trout.



A really good day.



1 comment: