February 15, 2012

We're gonna need a bigger boat

I've really enjoyed the new dinghy motor.  So I figured if bigger is better, maybe I should do something like this.


Those twin 150's are on the back of a nice TomCat that belongs to George Sass.  George took us out fishing today on his boat "Viewfinder."   I took him to my secret trout spot (at least I told him it was my secret spot.)  He did catch dinner.

Later in the day, I went back out in the dinghy to fish a little more.  George is a freelance writer and photographer for the marine industry.  You may have read his articles in Yachting, Passagemaker, or Soundings.  Anyway, George had to write a review for an Australian boating magazine this afternoon, so I went out in the dinghy alone.

When I fish for trout, I use a popping cork and hang a jig with a live shrimp about 2' below the cork.  The popping cork is concave on the top so when you jerk the line, it sounds like a fish feeding on something.  The trout swim over to investigate, smell the shrimp (I bite off the tails), and then they eat the shrimp, and I reel them in. 
It works.

So today, I'm drifting along, popping the cork, when I see a dark shape in the water behind the popping cork. I'm thinking if that's a trout, it's a giant.  Then, the unmistakeable shape of a dorsal fin starts showing above the surface.  It's a shark.  And a big one.  I thought the shark was going to eat the popping cork thinking it was a fish in distress, but at the last minute, it ate the shrimp and took off.  I'm hanging on for dear life as the shark is towing me and the dinghy around, stripping more and more line off my reel.  After a while, the shark tires slightly, and comes near the boat.  Naturally, I want to get a photo of it, but I was pretty sure I didn't want it in the dinghy.  (Still got a scar on my ankle from a previous shark encounter. Plus, we're talking about a blow-up boat here.)  Then I decided that I didn't really want to try to stick my hand near it's mouth full of razor sharp teeth to grab it with the Boca Grip.  So while holding my pole with one hand, I dug around in my box of stuff looking for my camera, but it wasn't there.  Then, I tried to dig my phone out of my pocket to document the enormity of the monster, but just as I got my phone out, the line broke, and he was gone.

2 comments:

  1. I've been fishing with you so I know the story about the fish that got away.... The "shark" I'm sure was big... But a monster???? Andrew would tell you that monsters of the seas are just a figmintation of your imagination..... or "Grandad, you were dreaming"..... (Tracy)...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Certifiably insane, that's YOU, Tom :-)
    Tammi Goddard

    ReplyDelete