February 18, 2012

Ant attack

I stuck a patch over the hole in the dinghy last night.  This morning, I pumped up my dinghy, and it seemed all hard and ready to play.  But when I sprayed soap on it, I could still see bubbles coming out around the patch.  So I did what any prudent mariner would do.  Threw the pump in the dinghy and went out fishing.  It's a slow leak, and the water's not very deep.
It was another great day.  I caught a hundert trout.  It was an opportunity to taste test Gulp shrimp vs real live shrimp.  I had two poles side by side, and the live shrimp caught twice as many trout as the Gulp.  (34 for the Gulp--66 for the live shrimp.)

Since I had caught some sharks yesterday, I thought I'd try some cut up ladyfish for bait today.  I have read the chunks of ladyfish are also good bait for tarpon, redfish, and many other species.  The only problem is that the chunks of cut up ladyfish looked a lot like lunch.


So the trick is, always buy sardines in mustard so you don't get confused.

BTW, I caught almost as many trout on the chunks of ladyfish as I did on Gulp shrimp--but no sharks today.  I guess you could say I was sans sharks.

One trout today was over two feet!

 Size 13.

I tried Phil's kneeling position on the way home today, and it did inflict less pain on my back.  However, it's far too late for me to think praying would help.

This afternoon, there was another concert in the park.   In addition, the animal shelter brought some dogs in hopes that people would adopt them.  I'm sure Phil and Cathie would have adopted one if they were still here.  (Dogs are part of the reason they're not still here.)  I tried to get a couple of small ones to use as shark bait, but Pammie didn't like that idea.

There's an older fishing boat that just arrived in P & C's old slip.  It must have been sitting in storage somewhere.  Pammie noticed that it had ants all over it.  Next thing you know, the boat next to it has ants.  Tonight, we found ants on our boat. So we went to the hardware store, bought some ant killer, and sprayed our docklines.  It may be easier to repel rats than ants.

1 comment:

  1. Tom, you need to work on your math.... Two sevens don't equal thirteen... (Tracy)

    ReplyDelete