February 21, 2010

Pick One


 
 

We loaded the boat on the trailer at the ramp in Laishley Marina, Punta Gorda.  I winterized the boat's water systems in the parking lot, and we were able to find a nearby car wash with a hose to flush the salt out of the engines.  Frank and Pat hauled out Grey Goose at the same time, but they were leaving their boat in storage in Florida for a few more months.

We stopped at the first rest area on I-75 and I noticed that the brake line coming out of the master cylinder on the trailer was severed.  A 6" section of it was missing, and brake fluid was dripping out of the broken end.  Made for a "non-stop" trip home. I think I might have stepped on the brake line and broken it when I was getting the boat on the trailer. At the next stop, I noticed that one of the bunks on the trailer was turned 90 degrees and the front half of the boat wasn't resting on it like it should.  We limped on home, and got here before more sNOw and freezing rain.  Glad the drive home is over, but can't say I'm glad to be here.
Today, I drove the truck over to the storage lot where I keep the boat to see if they had cleared the spot where I park it.  Thought I'd come back with the boat later.  Just driving through the lot, my 2 wheel drive pick up truck got stuck in the sNOw.  And, I had forgotten to bring my cell phone.  I waited until someone else drove in, and borrowed their phone to call home.  Naturally, Pam wasn't home, and of course I don't need to remember my neighbor Jake's number because it's programmed into my cell phone.  My truck was dangerously close to one of the RV coaches and as I tried to get unstuck, it kept sliding closer.  After about a half hour of digging with my bare hands and rocking the truck back and forth without sliding into the coach, I got free.  I drove home, and got Jake and his 4 wheel drive truck to haul my boat back to the storage lot and park it.  I had already given Jake a case of beer for clearing my driveway with his sNOwplow before we got home, and now, I owe him even more beer.  I'm lucky to have Jake as a neighbor.  And at this rate, I'll keep his beer fridge stocked all summer. 

2 comments:

  1. glad you made it home safe. Feb. is almost over. the lakes are filling back up. Thanks for all the pictures and your wit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your home safe even with a few mishaps on the trip back north... I noticed that when you headed north, the temperatures down here started going back up to normal (70's).... Thanks for the blog... Can't wait til the next adventure... TW

    ReplyDelete