February 6, 2010

more anchors

Gearing up for a Super Bowl party tomorrow. They're bringIng in a big projection TV and setting up 200 seats in the marina meeting room. The Colts Fan in this photo is Phil. An ex judge in Greenwood, IN.
Late this morning, we called F&P to see when they were going to the grocrey. They were waiting for a boat neighbor to check on used anchors listed for sale on the marina bulletin board. (This same guy is from Canada and knows Bob Rosborough--the builder of our boats.) I told Frank that I had a spare anchor he could use so we took our dinghy over to Grey Goose and set out our anchor along with the two Frank already had out. That might seem like overkill, but it's blowing over 20 and gusting higher. The holding is poor in the anchorage area, and there are a lot of boats anchored close together. On the way to Publix, Frank bought another anchor at Home Depot.
I took the dinghy in this afternoon to fill our water jugs. Pam didn't want to go so she stayed on the boat. Just as I was nearing the dock where the water hose is located, a gust of wind caught the dinghy and blew it towards a boat lift that overhangs the water. I gave the engine more throttle to keep from hitting the lift, but that only made me hit it harder. The dinghy went under the boat lift but the motor got caught on a barnacle encrusted brace. In gear. Almost full throttle. Most embarassing. I had a hard time shutting the motor off because I couldn't reach around all the barnacle covered metal framework. When I finally shut it off and got out of the mess I quickly filled the water jugs and headed back to the boat as if it never happened. As soon as I returned, Pam says "How did all that blood get in the dinghy?" I didn't realize I was bleeding. The barnacles had sliced up my legs. I blame Pam. If she had been sitting in her spot in the front of the dinghy, she would have hit first and the dinghy would have never gone under the boat lift.
We had dinner tonight with F&P at the Keys Fishery. I tried their speciality. A lobster rueben sandwich. Scrumptious !

No comments:

Post a Comment