February 9, 2010

Everglades City

 

  

  

 


Photos are from the Little Shark River.


Spent Monday night anchored in the Little Shark River.  Left this morning (Tuesday) about 9 on our way to Everglades City.   This was a 40 mile trip straight from Little Shark to Indian Key.  It's offshore, and other than crab pots, there's not much to look at.  I was steering, and we were surging along with a following sea, surfing down waves, then slowing for the next one.  We'd go 9 knots, then surf to 12.5.  I wasn't asleep at the wheel--but close.  I was looking out the windshield when a dolphin jumped 10' in the air only about 2' in front of our bow rail.  I shouted so loud that Pam thought I said "iceberg - dead ahead!"  One jump only.  Sorry no photo.  I've seen a lot of dolphins, but I've never seen that before.
 
Last year, when we were in Everglades City, we stayed at the Rod and Gun Club.  Built in 1800's and hasn't changed much since.  However, the tides here in Everglades City are at least 4'.  Sometimes last year, we had to climb on the roof of our boat to step off on the seawall.  We heard from Jan and Steve (on another Rosborough "Jessie M") that the new RV park was open had transient slips with floating docks.   Getting the boat into a slip was the most difficult docking ever because of the strong side current, but well worth the effort.  This is the nicest place we've ever been in our boat.  Much too nice for someone like me.  I'll take photos tomorrow.

We're going to stay here a couple of days and then make our way up to Marco.  Then back up to the Charlotte Harbor area.

No comments:

Post a Comment