February 5, 2010

No snow here

Since no one wants to play name that tune, maybe I should blog about the weather. It's the usual forecast here--mostly sunny, breezy, high near 80, low in the upper 60's. The forecast for Indiana includes a winter storm warning with up to 8" of snow. I really hate to miss that.
Yesterday, we thought we would go out to the reef and snorkel. We brought all the gear with us including wetsuits we still had from my windsurfing days. Unfortunately, it was too windy. Looks like the next couple of days will be too breezy also. Monday is first day with light winds in the forecast so I think we will use that window to cross Florida Bay back to the Little Shark River.
On the way out the pass to the reef, we stopped at a gas dock and topped off our fuel with non-ethanol gas at $3.98 / gal.
Coming back in we heard a frantic conversation on the VHF between the Coast Guard and a boater reporting that an airplane had crashed near Long Key. A few miles east of us. The CG dispatched assets to the area for SAR. Turned out to be a false alarm. Your tax dollars at work.
I went back up in the mangroves to fish again later in the day. The photo is of a channel off Sister Creek where I saw the tarpon. I caught a couple of Jacks, and then hooked a bigger fish that jumped straight towards me so I couldn't get a good look at it. Since it got away, I'm pretty sure it was a tarpon.
We took the dinghy ashore last night and walked up to a bar so we could watch the IU / Purdue basketball game on ESPN. Sat there nursing a few 25 cent wings and a glass of iced tea for 3 hours. Got back to the marina about 9:30 and had to navigate by the stars to find our boat in the dark.

2 comments: