January 8, 2012

Conch shells

We took out the dinghy fishing today, and we're having fish for dinner tonight!  Lucky for me we brought some frozen salmon from home.  I did catch some barracudas today, but I'm not sure who eats who in that food chain.
We watched a dolphin swimming close by the dinghy, and then it put on a show for us by jumping clear of the water about 20 times.

Back when we were in the boat business, we would always enjoy the "whistle gophers" that came to the boat shows.  You know the ones.................they walk up, look at your boat, whistle, and say "What's she go fer?"  Now I'm encountering a similar animal--not exactly the same species, but most likely from the same genus.  They walk up, look at our twin 50 hp outboards, and ask "What'll she do with those twins?"  My reply is "We usually cruise at 70 miles per hour." (Like the "p" in pneumonia, the "when it's on the trailer" is silent.)

When we were in Marathon two years ago, we heard a lot of people blowing conch shells at sunset.  Heard it again here in Islamorada last year.  I finally asked a guy down the dock where he got his conch shell.  He said any of the local tourist shops would have them.  So, I looked around, and found conch shells that had been modified to blow like a horn.  However, they were all $20 or more.  Since I'm so cheap, I thought of the old conch shell that had been laying around back home for probably a hundert years.  When we got back  I got the old conch shell out of the dirt, and using my dremmel tool, cut a hole in the appropriate end of it, and voila-- I am now a menace to my boat neighbors every sunset.

3 comments:

  1. a indiana jones look alike? last year the "dude"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd a-liked to see the guy's face after you told him about cruising at 70.
    Tammi Goddard

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm also following a humourous thread labelled My Hog Honey (Rosborough) and they're on the way to Plantation Key by truck/trailer from Punta Gorda.

    http://myhoghoney.blogspot.com/

    From our limited time in Islamorada (Hampton Inn, and it's 'fishing lies' tiki bar) I'd say that there are about to be 2 Rosboroughs within 8 miles of each other in the Keys this week.

    ReplyDelete