January 18, 2012

Catfishing

It's not as easy as you might think.  First you've got to catch one--unless you can convince the people at the humane society that you just want a pet.  Claws in the inflatable are another problem.  And of course, sharks are bottom feeders.  If you attach enough weight to hold the bait on the bottom (ie concrete block) you can't cast it out very far.

We went up into the Everglades National Park to fish today.  Shortly after arriving, I got to speak with a Park Ranger.  Fortunately, my fishing license, boat registration, life jackets, etc, etc were all in order.

The water is not too deep where we first anchored, and we were able to see a sting ray swim under the dinghy.



Pam only comes along so she can watch dolphins, and she wasn't disappointed today.


We moved to a little deeper channel, and after a while, I hooked a fish that took off like a rocket.  


I fought it for quite a while, and finally got it to the boat.  I think it's a Pompano (maybe a Permit.)


Contrary to popular belief, my dinghy is big enough.  And I really like my little 2 hp Suzuki outboard.  But it's just too slow.  If you or someone you know has a larger outboard that they'd like to sell and ship to the Keys, please contact me.  An ideal motor would be one of the 9.8 hp Tohatsu or Nissan 2-strokes. They're lighter weight than the newer 4-strokes.

1 comment:

  1. Know what you mean about the 2hp. We dug our old (circa 1988) 8hp Johnson out of the shed and used her on our dinghy last summer. What a difference!
    Tammi Goddard
    Cloud Nine

    ReplyDelete