February 3, 2009

Jumping Dolphin and Rough Seas


2-3-09
We didn't make it to Sanibel today. From Fakahatchee to Marco was not too bad. Marco Island sticks out far enough to protect that part of the journey from the NW winds. We even had a jumping dolphin travel along with us for a while putting on quite a show. Here's some photos, and a video is attached.

We cut through at Goodland behind Marco Island. Sent email earlier today in front of condos on Marco Pass. We started out Marco Pass, thinking that we were headed for Sanibel. NOAA weather radio was all excited about a freeze warning for Wednesday night, and they barely touched on the current weather. They said the wind was NW at 10 to 15 mph. Since we'd had no trouble south of Marco, I was still on for Sanibel. The waves were crashing on the shoals around Marco pass, but I thought it would get calmer once we cleared the pass. I was wrong. We shouldn't have gone out. It was so bad, I was afraid to turn around and go back in. Waves were breaking over our bow, and I was certain we'd broach if I tried to make a turn. It got no better, and I knew we'd never make Sanibel, so I had Pam check how far it was to Gordon Pass. We went the 7 miles or so bracing ourselves and holding on for dear life. We could hear the dishes and everything else inside the cabinets crashing around as we rose on a crest, and then fell into the troughs. We also discovered a lot of leaks we didn't know we had. Green water over a solar vent is not a good thing. Everything in the V-berth is soaked--including our bedding.
Coming in at Gordon Pass was an adventure. We would surf down a wave, and then bury the bow. Hard over left--hard over right, etc. throttle full--throttle off. If you've seen the movie "The Perfect Storm", it was like that--only the waves may not have been quite as big.
We survived, and are anchored in Rookery Bay south of Naples. (If I were still drinking, I'd be having a cold one right now.) I made a reservation for us at the Naples City Dock tomorrow night. Pam still wants to do laundry, and after today's adventure, I need some clean underwear.
It's supposed to get down into the 20's, and another front is coming through with stronger winds tomorrow, so we won't attempt traveling in the gulf until the wind dies down. Probably Friday or Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment