September 24, 2012

New York City

Continuing south today.  Sunny and cool.
I think the bluffs here are called the "Palisades."


Didn't want to get too close to this place.  It's where they sent the gangsters "up the river"........................... to Sing-Sing prison.




Yet another light house on the Hudson

Looking out our front window you can start to see the outline of some buildings in the city ahead.  The river is fairly straight north of NYC, and we could see the Statue of Liberty from 18 miles upstream.


At first, I thought this sign spelled "Hooters"


Freedom passed us again today.


We've been a lot of places, but nowhere quite like New York Harbor.  Boats going every which way.  Fast moving ferries darting across the water, and changing directions for no apparent reason.  Reminded me of the PWC's at home on Morse Lake-only much bigger.  There were ocean going cargo ships, giant cruise liners, and tug boats towing barges.  In addition, the US Coast Guard had cutters and inflatables zooming around with guns at the ready. (I guess I don't know for sure that they were ready--but they did have guns.)  Our little boat was tossed about in the chop so much it was difficult to get photos of anything--we were just holding on.  But here's some of what we saw.





I had read about a little out of the way spot to anchor behind the Statue of Liberty, adjacent to Liberty State Park.  So that's where we are tonight. 
N 40 degrees 41.744 minutes   
W 74 degrees 03.79 minutes

Tomorrow, we might pay big bucks for a slip in Liberty Landing Marina, and hop on one of those ferries to go to the SOL, and Ellis Island.  We might even ride over to NYC.

It occurs to me that our North Channel cruise up in Canada was in an area that is very sparsely populated. This trip to NYC is just the opposite.  And as I always say (to the consternation of those who hear it frequently) "averages are made up of extremes."  So I guess I can say the population of the last two areas in which we cruised is average.

3 comments:

  1. I was a little worried when I read "SOL"... I thought it had something to do with "Sh*t Out of Luck"... Glad it had to do with a destination... Pictures are great!!!! Keep them coming.... (TLW)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos, thanks for sharing. Are you seriously tucked in behind the SOL?
    R

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to have you back on line. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete