September 28, 2012

Cats Kill

Not every day on the water is perfect.  Today for instance.  It started raining about 3 am, and as of 5 pm, hasn't stopped.





Visibility out the front window isn't so good. Pam kept breathing, fogging up the windows.  I politely asked her to stop, but she wouldn't  Then I politely asked her to sit on the back porch in the rain, but she wouldn't do that either.  Fortunately, my Android tablet navigation program did what I asked it to do, so I could see where we were.  

I thought I was keeping a sharp lookout, but several times other boats were quite close to us before I saw them.  A couple of times, I saw a bright light aiming right at us, and I took evasive maneuvers only to find it was the headlight of a train coming around a curve on the shore.

We motored NOrth a little more than 50 miles today, and because of the weather, couldn't really enjoy the scenery.


We sometimes carry a Honda generator along when we will be anchoring out a lot.  I set it on the swim platform on the transom of the boat, with the exhaust blowing away from the boat.  But just to be safe, I bought a carbon monoxide detector, and set it on the shelf opposite the head in the forward compartment (V-berth) where we sleep.  The carbon monoxide detector has never gone off.  I even held it directly in the exhaust of the generator, and it didn't sound the alarm.  So, I have had my doubts that it even works.  We didn't bring the generator on this trip, and I had forgotten the detector was there on the shelf. 

This morning, after the usual breakfast of oats and coffee, I went forward to the head to conduct the usual business one conducts in the head. (bathroom)  As usual, I closed the door to the forward compartment.  While I was sitting there, minding my own business, the most awful, loud screeching noise started coming from the shelf across from the head.  I couldn't jump right up to see what it was, and even though we've been married a VERY long time, I didn't really want Pam to come in to check on it either.  You've probably guessed that it was the carbon monoxide detector finally working.  I can't imagine what set it off, but after finishing up with my business, and removing the detector's battery, I checked the label closely to make sure I had really purchased a carbon monoxide detector, and not a methane detector.  

I had hoped to stay at the Cats Kill marina tonight, but I discovered it was washed away last year when Hurricane Irene came through.  So we're across the Cats Kill Creek at Hop-O-Nose marina.

                       




1 comment:

  1. had my eyebrows singed before i learned to go to steerage while you "did your business"

    ReplyDelete