September 28, 2011

Shawnee again

We waited out the fog again until about 10 am.  We were at Shawnee State Park overnight.  It was a nice day today until the rain came around 3 pm.




Going down river is much better than up river.  At the same engine rpm's we go 4 mph faster.  (Assume we go 8 mph in still water.  Against the current, we loose 2 mph, so we go 6 mph.  With the current, we gain 2 mph, so our 8 becomes 10.)  I thought that was doing good until a tow boat overtook us.  He was pushing only one barge.

My daughter gave me a cool little tripod for my camera.  I thought I'd take a photo of the three of us playing cards.  It only took about 20 attempts to get us all in the photo.
Richman is our techie guru.  He has an app on his iPhone that shows our position on the river in a satellite view. 

I don't want to think technology is passing me by, but I have heard it honk the horn and motion me over out of the way.  My TV at home is deeper from front to back than it is wide.  Still got that cathode ray tube.




We passed a coal fired power plant today, and I counted over a hundert full barges of coal waiting to be unloaded.
I don't know how clean these coal fired plants are, but the lime producer across the river has turned the trees white.
(Put your margaritas away--it's not that kind of lime.)

There's not a lot of satisfactory places to stop along the river.  I try to call ahead and check to see who's still open.  Most little marinas and boat clubs are already closed for the season.  We stopped tonight back in Augusta, KY.  This is the place we stopped last Wednesday.  Right--almost everything in town is closed on Wednesdays.  I don't think it's going to matter to these two.  As long as the cooler on the boat is open.

No comments:

Post a Comment