September 25, 2011

Gallipolis, OH

I think I've found a new winner in the worst shower ever competition.  Prior to this morning, I had always considered the hose hanging in a corner of a barn near Hoppie's Marina on the Mississippi River to be the worst place I had taken a shower.  (I rated Hoppie's worse than the fountain in a park along the Illinois River near Joliet.)  I realize that the Huntington Yacht Club was closed, however, the shower in that place was a pit.


I planned to tie up tonight at a free dock in Gallipolis, OH.  Most of the places we've stopped have been closed.  Some folks at the Huntington Yacht Club told us that they pull the Gallipolis docks out for the winter about this time of year.  So, the way our luck has been running, I expected to find the place deserted.  We rounded the bend before Gallipolis, and were surprised to see the place jam packed.


We found a spot, and soon after the weigh in for the bASS tournament was over, dumpster divers went looking for treasures.



The next bridge up river is the infamous "Silver Bridge" at Point Pleasant, WV.  If you're familiar with the Mothman Prophecies,  this is the bridge that collapsed in 1967, killing forty some people.  The legend was that a winged creature (aka Mothman) foretold of the disaster.  Some folks said he caused the disaster.  Myself, I'm thinking about that flying saucer we saw a few miles back.

No comments:

Post a Comment