July 9, 2010

A real let down

Today was a real let down. Five of them. And since the high water has receeded, each of the five locks we went through today let us down about 4' each. At the last lock there were 16 pleasure boats exiting as we went in. We went through a total of 11 locks on our northbound leg. The longest we had to wait was an hour and a half.
We stopped this morning at Winona, MN. The dock there is perpendicular to the current. After I got us alongside, I probably didn't need to tie it to the dock. The boat was pressing against the dock so hard that I was worried we couldn't back away. We walked downtown Winona to a Verizon store where I found a USB cable to connect my phone to the laptop. We also found a place to eat lunch.
Also while docked at Winona, I had to do some plumbing repair. Pam told me she was unable to pump water into the head. I knew pretty quick what the problem was. When we anchor off the channel, all the coves and sloughs are filled with seaweed. Lots of vegatation everywhere. Wouldn't consider swimming. When we flush, we pump in water from below the boat. We had sucked up weeds into the intake and clogged the hose. I was able to remove the hose and remove the weeds. (I'm just glad it was the intake that was clogged--not the waste line.)
Maybe because we went 60 miles today we saw a lot of barges. We saw one family trying to win a Darwin Award by towing their children on a tube back and forth in front of a moving barge. All survived.
We're anchored tonight about 100 yards north of Iowa.

No comments:

Post a Comment