July 9, 2010

Grumpy

Wednesday evening, we ate dinner at Slippery's in Wabasha. The movie "Grumpy Old Men" was playing on their TV. When it was over, they started it again. There was a poster on the wall for their "Grumpy Festival." I had wi-fi at the marina, so I googled Wabasha & Grumpy. I discovered that Wabasha was the setting for the Grumpy Old Men movies.
We left the marina and tied up in front of the National Eagle Center. Beautiful building. Inside, an eagle handler was holding Harriet, a 29 year old eagle. He asked if anyone here was from TONIC, the boat out on the river. I thought I was in trouble again. He said he had read our blog and knew we were coming today. Not sure how he found the blog, but it's good to know someone reads it.
The eagle center has very interesting displays and an informative classroom program that includes feeding an eagle. The young man who was in charge of our program did a great job and was a real hoot. (oops wrong bird) I took some photos that I will post as soon as I can find wi-fi again. (I'm posting from my phone today.) If you're ever near Wabasha, MN, the National Eagle Center is certainly worth a visit.
After the Eagle Center, we stopped in Alma, WI. We started to walk up to Buena Vista Park, but decided it was too much of a hike. So if you want to see a photo of the river from there, look it up on the internet.
Heading downstream has me all confused. It took a week for me to remember to keep the reds on the right. Now going down, they're on the left. (I have small red and green clips that I clip above the helm so when I forget I can refer to them. Assuming I remember to change them when we turn around.) Going downstream the charts are upside down. I either try to read the mile markers upside down or try to remember to turn left when the river turns right. I'm so confused that yesterday, a tow boat called me on the VHF and told me to see him on the two, but I saw him on the one. I was so embarassed.

No comments:

Post a Comment