July 2, 2010

More mayflies

The boat was covered with mayflies again this morning. We have become a floating mayfly haven. After asking them nicely to leave, we discovered that they had laid their eggs all over the roof. I scrubbed the roof, but I suspect the inside of the air conditioner is full of them. Maybe we can bring some back to Indiana so we can enjoy their company at home.
I had thought we might stay at a free dock in the town of Bellevue, IA last night. When we got there and saw it, it was right by the end of the lock entrance. One small mistake by a towboat pilot and we would have been crushed. Wouldn't want that to happen to my boat.
I phoned up to Dubuque to reserve a slip for tonight and was told there's a 2 night minimum, and the price is twice the normal rate for this weekend. Didn't know Dubuque had a NASCAR race. Looks like another night anchored out.

1 comment:

  1. Ewwww...those mayflies look huge. Please don't bring them back here. Gross.

    ReplyDelete