January 17, 2009

SWF Arrival

The good news is that we arrived safely today about 1:00 pm. We launched at Gulfport.





The bad news was that we didn't depart on time. My red Ford diesel pick-up truck would not continue running in my driveway. It would start and then die after about 2 minutes. I went into town and bought some ant-gel additive and tried it, but same result. Then I went into town and bought some kerosene and added it to the fuel. Same result. The truck has two fuel filters, and I had some extras at home, so I replaced the easy one on top the engine block. Same result. In order to replace the other filter, I had to jack up the truck and crawl underneath it. (Don't forget it was -15 degrees or so.) When I removed the old filter, it didn't take too long to see the problem. I knew diesel will "gel" at low temps, but I'd never seen it quite so bad. Here's a photo of the old and new filters.


No comments:

Post a Comment