January 27, 2009

Dark Thirty




As I get older, I find it much easier spending birthdays someplace warm.

I didn't know what dark was really about until spending a night in the everglades. There was no moon last night.
If you liked the earlier "sky" photo, you should like "sky at night"

It is also very quiet here--no highway, no town, no nothing.
Today, three other boats came in and anchored within a half mile of us, so it won't be quite or so isolated tonight.
The tidal range here is about 3 feet. That 4' deep cove we anchored in last night was only about a foot deep this morning. The mud on the bottom was also a foot deep. We waited until high tide this afternoon, and moved the boat out into deeper water. Where we are now--out in the main channel, the current from the tide is 5 or 6 mph. Both out and in--we swing 180 degrees as it changes. Regardless of the wind direction.
Went fishing this morning. Caught 8 or 10 trout like this one. A couple of them will be joining us for dinner.

Pam stayed on the boat this afternoon, and I went out fishing by my self. I was going to find the trout hole from this morning, but the tide had come in full, and everything looked different. I kept searching behind more and more islands. Finally gave up looking for the same spot and started fishing where I was. I got too close to some oyster beds and did a "Chad." I punched a hole in one side of the dinghy. I figured I should head back to the mother ship for repairs, but when I looked around.....................I couldn't see which pass to take back. Again, the change in tides made everything look different. So, now not only am I lost, but I'm also sinking. As I mentioned, my GPS only works part time. I fired it up, and entered a "go to" where we were anchored. Fortunately, it worked long enough to acquire a signal, and give me a general direction back. I think I'll leave a trail of bread crumbs tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment