January 31, 2009

leaving Rod & Gun

We will be leaving the Rod & Gun today, (waiting on high tide) and going back out to anchor in the islands somewhere. Before we depart, Pam wants to find a laundry mat to wash some stuff. (I really don't know why.............I've only worn two pairs of underwear so far.)
Looks like the next few days will be cool, so we will probably stay down here in the Everglades. This is as far south as we plan to go. There are some places where we'd like to spend more time on the way back up, so the trip NOrth will be slower than the decent.
It appears the patches on the dinghy might be holding. I squeezed it this morning, and it still feels firm. (Pam says I shouldn't squeeze my dinghy in public.)
It's a big step down to the boat at low tide

And, low tide exposes some nasty barnacles along the seawall.

I rode my bicycle over to town to look for the laundry mat only to find that it was shut down and replaced by a tanning salon. Why would anyone need a tanning salon in the Everglades? The closest laundry is in Naples.
There is, however, a small grocery store, so we replenished a few supplies.
Later in the day, I'm disappointed to find my dinghy is no longer as firm as I thought. (you can insert your own comment here)
The leak has slowed, but not stopped.
I can steal wifi here from someone, but the only location I can access it is a fish cleaning station. So the bottom of my computer smells a little fishy. Every time I walk down there, the pelicans all come charging in because they think I'm cleaning fish.
I spoke again with the fellow on his way to South America. You can find more about him on his website
interesting chap
One good thing about being tied to the shore...............we've had three days in a row of showers--with hot water. Simple pleasures.

No comments:

Post a Comment