July 4, 2012

Bears

Haven't seen any bears.  But we've walked through several areas where bears hang out.  It's a little late, but I read that you should carry a horn or loud whistle when walking through bear country to scare off the bears.  I can just picture me trying to get a whistle out of the backpack to scare a charging bear.

Reminds me of the old days when I used to race sailboats in overnight races.  I would have the crew members wear a whistle and a flashlight on a string around their neck at night. If they fell off the boat in the darkness, I'd have a better chance of finding them.   So during one race--in the middle of the day--a crew member, Dan-O, fell overboard.  He managed to grab a stanchion, and was dragging in the water along side the boat.  My pal, the Dawg, looked at him and made no effort to grab him or get him back aboard.  He just said "hold on Dan-O, I'll get your whistle for you."

Hold on Mr. Bear, while I get my whistle out of the backpack.  I never worry when Pam's along.  I may not be able to outrun a bear, but I can certainly outrun her.

We're heading to Covered Portage Cove today, and then over to Kagawong tomorrow.  We might spend another night at the Benjamins after that, or we might go on up to Spanish.  We still have no schedule--and we're sticking to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment