April 24, 2010

Hontoon Island

We're staying tonight at the Hontoon Island State Park. My free dock record is blemished. It' $20 to stay here. Includes elec, water and a nice bathouse with showers.

After we checked in, we took the dinghy on a 10 mile cruise up the Dead River and then into the Snake River. (Which I hoped was named for it's twisty path - not it's inhabitants.) The chart says the Snake is "un-navigable". The photos show some of the plants, but about half way through, there was a tree that had fallen across most of the water. What was left was covered with some sort of vine stuff that I thought we could push through. We blasted into it, and right up on top of the stuff. The motor wouldn't go down in it so I tried the oars. The vine stuff held on to the oars and we couldn't move. The water was warm, but I just couldn't convince Pam to get out and push. I was finally able to pull on some tree limbs and get us across.

We saw hunderts of alligators. Some photos of them will be in the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment