December 10, 2009

Loggerhead reef




Wednesday
we watched manta rays, sharks, etc all around the boat last night. Watched the greatest sunset ever. Capt Jim and I gave the other 2 capt's a eucher lession.
The park rangers gave us the lat and lon of a shipwreck we could snorkle over. This morning we picked our way around several reefs, so as to not become another wreck and worked our way into the shipwreck. There was a mooring ball to tie to so we didn't disturb the wreck with our anchor. The wreck was about 50 yards upwind. Capt ted put on a lifejacket and the two of us snorkling off. We went about 10 yards, and ted couldn't go on because the waves fulled his snorkle. I continued on another 20 yards or so, but I tired quickly. I had snorkled several hours yesterday and my legs wouldn't push me into the wind and waves. And I was now alone except for the large barricuda following me. The water was 15' deep. I was pretty well exhausted, so I returned to the boat.
We started sailing NOrth about 11 am. We were joined by two different pods of dolphins that put on a show for over an hour. I sat up on the bow rail waving to them as they rolled over to look up at me. I kept imagining that they wished they had arms. Then I could envision how they were lining up to time their jumps to bite off mine. They were thinking "too bad that guy doesn't have fins."
We had planned on sailing into Charlotte harbor and spend tomorrow night anchored there but the wind has died, and it looks like we will sail and motor straight to Tampa bay. We are 95 miles from the nearest land. 160 miles from our destination. Going 5 mph. It's about 88 degrees and very humid. Perfect
Dinner tonight included tuna, sardines, vienna sausages, followed by peanut butter and jelly on saltines. Scrumptous ! I guess everyone is over their queasy stomachs.

No comments:

Post a Comment