December 9, 2009

LeavIng key west


monday night
The harbormaster in kw insisted we leave a little before 2. Watched dolphins, flying fish and man-o-wars as we went out the channel.
Capt Ted ran the macerator when we were about 20 miles out. I went down below to nap and the cabin stunk! I asked ted to check if the holding tank was empty. He had connected the pump wires backwards and pumped into the tank and up into the head.
We dined on beanie wienies tonight. Each of us had our own can and spoon. Served properly at room temp. Followed by a little debbie. Delicous.
We again encountered elec gremlins tonight. I was assured by the captains in kw that all was solved. But the power went off again tonight. Since the waves are only 2 feet, I was able to get into the battery compartment. I was holding a flashlight while Ted checked the voltage of a battery. It was obvious to me that the negative wire was not connected on 1 battery. Hope that solves the problem.

We're a long way from anywhere tonight and the sky is clear. Stars, stars, more stars.
The weather today and the stars tonight is what the picture in the brochure looked like when I signed on.
4:30 am I asked capt ted what those lights are ahead. Buoys marking the park boundry says he. As we get closer it's a boat says I. The people on the boat were yelling at us in some unknown language as we passed within 20 ' of them. I think I understood the meaning.
Arrived at ft jefferson at 8 am.

No comments:

Post a Comment