October 16, 2008

CRT 8

Thursday, 10-16-08
We left old lock # 9 about 10:00 am.

Before we left, we walked up the old cobblestone road to explore the countryside.

At the top of the hill was a "No Trespassing" sign with a hand painted "Stay Out or Be Shot"
Pam immediately pulled up her hood for "camo" mode.

We saw an eagle sitting in a tree along the bank. So far the score is Eagles--6, towboats met --8, souls saved--2 (we rescued 2 guys in a fishing boat.)

I had called to schedule locking through Cordell Hull Lock. Told them I would be there at 3:30. We were cruising along about 15 miles from the lock just after noon, thinking we would be early. There was static coming over the VHF radio, and I thought I heard someone say my name. I turned up the volume, and could just make out someone saying "Tom Moore". I called back, and found out it was the lockmaster telling me he had arrived at the lock early if I wanted to get through prior to 3:30. So we bumped up our speed from 6 to 8 mph, and got there early.

He had the gates open, and as we went through, the lockmaster leaned over the wall and confirmed that we plan to go back down on Monday at 8:30 am. I told him yes, but if we decide to come back earlier, were there any other boats scheduled before Monday? No other boats between Thursday and Monday, but if we decide to go back earlier, he said the marina down the lake knows how to reach him.

After about a 60' lift, we are now in Cordell Hull Lake.

We anchored in Buffalo Creek tonight. Mile 325. It has rained most of the day. There's a solar vent directly over my head where I sleep in the V-Berth. Last night it leaked and dripped on my face. Pam suggested I pull a plastic trash bag over my head to keep it dry. We may have been out here long enough.
The Cumberland River is navigable for 385 miles. The same trip by car (Ohio River near Paducah to Celina, TN) is 190 miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment