October 2, 2012

Clyde, Lyons, Newark

Pam says she doesn't like going through locks.  Today, we passed through eight locks.  Two were joined--the lower gate of one was the upper gate of the next.


The lockmasters on the canal are more helpful than those on the Midwest rivers.  Here, they ask how far you plan to go today, then call ahead to let the next lockmaster know you're on the way.  At several locks today, the gates were open and the green light was on, ready for us to enter.  These locks are much smaller than those on the Ohio or Mississippi, and they are able to fill and empty them faster.


There's a whole lot of nothing for quite a few miles on this part of the canal.


Everywhere we've been in New York, the seems to be a railroad nearby.  I'm not sure I'll be able to sleep when I return home without the occasional sound of the locomotives and whistles.  We've got a couple of those sound machines that our grandchildren use for "white noise" when they sleep at our house.  Maybe there's a freight train setting.

  


We traveled about 35 miles today and only saw one other boat.  It was one of the rental canal boats.


So this sign didn't come into play.


It rained most of the day again today.  It's rained most of this trip.  We've just about worn out our windshield wipers.  I spent most of my life as a sailor, but I'm happy now to be inside out of the weather. 


We stopped along the FREE wall in Newark.  We hooked up to the FREE electric and FREE water.  They have a nice new welcome center with showers and a FREE laundry.  That's us on the left wall.



There are murals painted on the bridge next to the welcome center.





I have to admit that I was a little concerned when I went into the welcome center bathroom.  Considering recent events, I was worried about setting off that alarm.




No comments:

Post a Comment